Monday, February 4, 2008

Why we need to support Mitt

The democrats can pay attention as well, but this is really for those of you who have a chance to make a difference for the GOP, especially those of you in Super Tuesday states!!

First of all, I hope I don't lose any credibility as a Mormon, supporting a Mormon. His religion and mine are completely irrelevant. Frankly, he wasn't my first choice, but now that we've lost the others, he is the ONLY choice!

So, why we need to support Mitt:

1. Above all, he is a businessman. this has obvious positive implications when it comes to the economy, but I think it is more encompassing than that. He knows how to look at an organization (as evidenced in a variety of settings), get to the bottom line, and fix it.
2. Mitt Romney is the clearest, most logical THINKER in the running. We need someone who knows how to solve problems, think them through and make decisions. There is ample evidence of Mitt Romney's ability to do this.
3. Romney will protect our country. This is our president's most basic consitutional responsibility, and Romney takes it seriously. This is the one area where McCain would do just as well as Romney, but probably not better.
4. Of course, Romney fits the bill on all of the basic republican values and beliefs. I have to believe that he not only supports them for his campaign, but lives them in his life. I am especially concerned that we can't say the same for McCain, as he seems to be the one to beat. McCain is a good, principled man, but he is not the right choice.

SO WHAT CAN YOU DO???

Here is the important part. If you are in a Super Tuesday state, you NEED to go to your caucus!!! I know most people don't do this, so let me walk you through the basics. It is a relatively casual and informal process. They follow Robert's Rules of Order, but you can wear jeans. :) Every state is different in how they caucus, so this is specific to Minnesota, although most states will be similar. For the specifics on your state, google GOP with your state. what you do:
1. you elect delegates to move forward in the caucus process (there is a series of caucus' that make different decisions at each level). In my precinct, so few people come that every once who wants to be a delegate can. I think that is pretty common.
2. you discuss the party platform and vote on any resolutions that will also move up the caucus process. If you want to be involved in this process, it would be helpful to read the platform before you go...I don't bother. Most of the stuff people suggest is ridiculous!
3. You will vote in a straw pole. Now this doesn't mean anything officially, but it gives candidates a HUGE amount of momentum, which is why we need to do it!!

My goal is to get 20 people to a caucus who have never been before (which is most of you!) I'm already up to 10!!! If you are in Minnesota I will take you by the hand and walk you through the process. CALL ME!!! I also know the process in Utah if you are there. Frankly, even if you don't support Romney, you need to get involved. It is the only way we have any real choices about our candidates.

End of Soap Box.

1 comment:

Sharona said...

I'm as shocked as you are that we get along so we. Really. Who would have thought that I could adore a Republican as much as I do you? :)