Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tribute to Bits...


I'm afraid that as I sit to write a tribute on Elizabeth's 5th birthday, I find that this is perhaps the most difficult tribute for me to write for my children. Not because she doesn't have a ton of wonderful qualities, but because I feel like she is my child who I have the least grasp of. Let me say that as my children get older, I think she is the reason that I am supposed to homeschool. Her personality is such that she would struggle terribly in school, but can thrive if I ever figure out what drives her (besides Disney princesses and candy)! So, let me just offer a few random thoughts on this child I am so blessed to call mine.

1. Bitsy is CRAZY! It is unbelievably difficult for her to contain her gigantic personality in that little teeny body...and she is teeny. She goes and goes all day long until she crashes. Then heaven help the soul that tries to wake her!

2. Elizabeth is a dancer. This is what I tell myself now. She doesn't mean to be naughty or obnoxious, her body just needs to move and dance. If I don't provide the opportunity, then her body acts out in other ways. :)

3. Elizabeth is wonderfully sweet and affectionate. She is a little cuddle bug and loves to share hugs and kisses.

4. Bits LOVES books. She will sit and listen to books for hours if I am willing to read them. It won't be long now and she will be doing this on her own. She is catching on to reading concepts unbelievably fast. Smart as a whip, that girl!

5. Bitsy is a wonderful caretaker. We found that when Katie was born that Elizabeth could sit and hold her, perfectly still and gentle, for at least a half an hour at a time. Perhaps you have realized from the other things I've said that sitting still is not generally her strength. But to take care of her sweet baby sister, Bitsy is willing to do almost anything.

6. Bits is a GREAT big sister. She loves to play with Abby and share her toys...although she is admittedly a good negotiater to get the toys she really wants!

7. Elizabeth is probably the most outgoing, friendly child I know. She is willing to say hi to, play with, ask questions of, etc. anyone at any time. As you can imagine we have to watch her like a hawk.

8. Bits has a beautiful little voice and loves to sing. Even more fun is her ability to make up a song about anything she is doing. Yes, life is STILL a musical for Bitsy.

9. Elizabeth is inquisitive beyond anything I have ever seen. She is CONSTANTLY asking questions and looking for real answers. I really don't know how I'm going to keep up with her much past 5!

Elizabeth is a beautiful, smart, funny, sensitive little girl. She is a spitfire with energy to match anything we can throw at her. I love her and am so glad she is mine!

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Whoa! I don't know how you do it! She sounds like a joyful of a handful! :)

Fran said...

You have described Bitsy perfectly! And may I add, she is quite the budding beautician with scissors in hand. Last week when I brought dinner over, as I was leaving Bitsy ran outside and said, "I need to give you a hug and kiss!" She is an awesome angel. Thank you for sharing her with us.

Malallory said...

Bitsy is one of my favoritest people in the whole world! I mean, right up there with you, and that's saying something!! She is one of the few little kids I know that will give me all the hugs I demand!

Anonymous said...

Oh Bitsy you are so cute! My favorite story of Bits is when she was a baby & wouldn't go to sleep & Jacob would yell to her, "Lay down BITS!"